Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Patience, patience

It is so hard to be patient, we always want to get going, get to the next thing. I sit in movies and other performances just wishing they were over, even when I am enjoying the show, but for what reason? I am going nowhere, so I remind myself to be in the now.

Last week, I think Thursday, I got a call from the doc's office telling me to get to French Hospital Radiology and they can get this CT scan done, so I go right away, get there at 2:07. And I wait, and wait, and wait, and finally they come in at 3:45 with 1.5 liters of dye I have to drink first, and they put in an IV line for the other dye that gets injected. I have to wait an hour after I drink the Super Slurpee, which is not slurpy, so chug-a-lug, bug.

Not bad but not tasty. The first half liter goes quick, but then my guts are in protest. I haven't eaten lunch, since I raced over for the test. Anyways, I get out of there around 5:15, stop at Subway, and fill the dead hole in my gullet. I have lost 15 pounds in the last 6 weeks, back down to 160, and losing a lot of muscle. I am such a lump. Typing this is tiring me out.

So I am a patient, and I must be patient. At least I always have something to read, and my phone can entertain me, it is so smart! Sometimes I try to get my hands on the remote for the waiting room TV, sometimes I do get it. The world of being a patient is not like reality. You hold no cards, and complaining will slow it all down. Now I am waiting for the results of that CT scan, and what it will tell us about the next steps. I am staying in my seat, nibbling rubbery popcorn, while the credits roll. I try to pronounce the names of the best boys and their buddies.

The Writing Through Cancer prompt this week was to write about the worlds we move in and out of, so I wrote this:

Worlds

The worlds that I live in
all have a place in my galaxy,
in my universe.
In my yard is a world of flowers and birds,
roses and gardenias.
The pink roses are their own little worlds,
smelling like a sorority house on Friday night,
like sirens of the garden.
My wife is my most special world;
her atmosphere is all I need,
she is all pink roses and fresia and honeysuckle,
drawing me into orbit about her.
My house is a world of puttering,
of fixing things, of gluing and cleaning
and making everything right.
When I head out my driveway I enter
a world of near chaos, barely kept alive
by the rules of the road,
all these asteroids of karma and aura
colliding in space.
When I enter the hospital world I
gird my loins, gear for battle.
In this world I must be most careful,
to protect what is left of me, my essence,
and not get lost in the pain and the
knowledege of what is to come.
Billions of galaxies, countless planets,
God everywhere, all-knowing, all-powerful,
worlds of worlds.
If energy cannot be created or destroyed,
when I leave these close-by worlds,
my essence will experience the
worlds beyond, no longer constrained by
worlds of hunger, thirst, love and pain.

So everyone be patient, be here now, enjoy this day in spite of the pain.



5 comments:

  1. ok so reading this, who would rush into being the first to comment? hmmmm...

    this and your previous post reinforce my fears of driving--is it because in the car it doesn't help to bring a book? one of Martin Mull's first books on cd, A Paler Shade of White, he talks about inconvenience of guy in front of you at red light trying to finish paperback copy of War and Peace...

    do you ever listen to the Car Talk shows with click and clack, the Tappet Brothers? lately I get 4cd sets from the library, so I am driving down the road, alone in my car, laughing my head off to the sound of them laughing THEIR heads off...but i do end up driving slower and taking the scenic route because I don't want to miss part of any story.
    except of course, what is actually going on around me on the road.

    (it's me, pat, I just capitalized a few words to confuse you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience hates hearing "Be Patient Patience" as the person saying it gets a little chuckly to themselves (totally guilty). When usually it's the other way around the person saying it needs to be patient with her. Do love the song "Have a little Patience" by guns and roses though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,

    Sorry to hear you’re back in the holding tank. I hope you’re feeling better and that you get back home soon.

    So, how’s that jade fountain project coming along? You’ll have to post some pics of that, as well as the deer gutting/hanging area in the garage.

    Hey Pat, be careful. You’re going to have men all over the country chasing you now that they know you have that kind of devotion to the Tappett Brothers. Yer some kinda woman. If you now tell us you like football and beer well, that’s it; you’re pic will go into the dictionary under “keeper.”

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. close the K section, baby, closest I ever came to football is I did watch The Blind Side. but if I find out men are after me, I might get reacquainted with beer. at least until they catch on that I play the radio and cds so I can't hear them talk.
    but we all make exceptions, and I have to say that if YOU had a radio show--and I don't for the life of me know why you don't-- I would throw click and clack over in a minute.
    p.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat,

    That may the best compliment I ever had.

    John, if you don't do so already, be sure to tune into the Tappett Brothers. Here, they're on public radio at 9:30AM Saturday mornings. It will be a good boost for you.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete