Monday, May 03, 2010

Update from Dana

Just a quick update because I know some of you worry when you don't hear anything.

John remains in the hospital this morning because they haven't been able to get his fever under control. He is on several IV antibiotics and now they have added an antifungal but his fever keeps coming back as his dose of Tylenol wears off. They are afraid he has some kind of infection, but frankly, they seem somewhat stumped. Last night they drew blood from his PICC line and more directly from his other arm to see if the source of infection is the PICC line itself. The PICC site has been red and angry looking for more than a week now.

Not to knock our local hospital, but from my perspective, what a difference from Stanford. John is in an isolation room because he is so at risk for infection. When I got there yesterday, both doors (inner and outer) of his room were propped open with garbage cans and soiled linen bins. Why? It seems that they were not able to make his room comfortably warm when the doors were closed so their solution was to prop the doors to the halls open so that the warm air could rush in from the rest of the (presumably germ laden) hospital. No one was bothering to wear masks or gowns. Maintenance people and housekeepers were in and out of the room, while John was there, without washing hands. His neutropenic diet includes things that were forbidden at Stanford (dairy for example) and showers have to be ordered by the doctor. I miss the team of doctors that came in twice a day at Stanford too. John seems to think that standards have changed for neutropenic patients, and doesn't want to ruffle the feathers of the hands that feed him, so to speak, but I am ready to go in there and kick some a** and take some names. I think I already have a reputation there as the grumpy, demanding wife.

Apart from the fever battle, John is battling boredom and depression. I think he is growing tired of all this and his warrior attitude is fading as he endures day after day of discomfort and isolation. I keep reminding him that this is his nadir week (or ten days) and that he is expected to feel better soon. Wednesday is hump day with any luck. I think they will scan the masses next week at some point too, and hopefully, give us some good news to boost our spirits. Meanwhile, I have been passing on your good wishes, reading him your blog comments and his email daily. Both seem to lift his mood a little so thank you, again, to those of you who are taking the time to let us know that you’re thinking of us. Email is probably the best way to reach him right now. He gets it on his phone. His email is jclfiore@gmail.com

If I sound tired and cranky it’s because I am. It is incredibly difficult to see someone you love go through this, and this is not the first time for me. Cancer has shadowed me much of my life. Some of you know I lost my mom to cancer after a 15 year battle about thirty years ago. I am watching my boys going through some of what I experienced back then and it’s bringing it all back to me. I want to try to take care of them too. All this pulling in many directions, lack of sleep, stress, worry, and anxiety are getting to me. I have arranged to take this week off from work, probably a good thing, but I miss my little kiddos already. They are the bright part of my life right now and when I’m with them I forget my troubles for a while. They are in good hands with the trusted teacher that filled in for me two years ago while we were up at Stanford. Thank you, Teri!

OK, so this update has turned out to be not so quick. Our cancer writing coach, Sharon Bray says writing “helps you to make sense of things and to cope more effectively with the emotional roller coaster” that cancer brings. And she would know. So here it is. I’m sorry I don’t have John’s sense of humor about this. I guess we all deal with it in our own way. Some better than others. Hopefully, John will be back writing here soon.

12 comments:

  1. aaaaahhhh@@#$%^&*
    one of my brothers adopted a tough little guy named Marcus, who for the first two years he was with them came down every morning and yelled out, "okay, WHO's IN CHARRRRGE?"
    Stanford was the exception, but to most hospitals I'd like to take this particular nephew and turn him the **** loose.
    hope you both get to bust out of there soon; meanwhile keep kicking until you get to the point where you think you and John have totally reversed roles and call me psychic if you will but I believe it will take a while to get to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John and Dana: Hang in there and keep after that hospital. It sure sounds from Dana's post that the hospital needs to pick it up a notch or three on isolation mode. Yeah, Pat, let's set this Marcus kid loose on them, trash cans, what the he.....eey! love, Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((( Dana and John)))) I can sense the frustration about the hospital and you have every right to feel the way you do. I would be thinking the same thing. Is there any way to get him back to Stanford?

    Thinking of you warmly and keeping you all in my heart and prayers...Hope the turnaround happens soon! Love you...Terri Messina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any chance of returning to Stanford? Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana,

    I hope you feel a big hug coming through cyberspace. You certainly deserve one.

    Keep fighting John. Only a little while longer till you start climbing back up that hill. There’s still a lot of jade out there to be collected and there is also that jade fountain that needs to be built.

    As for the story about the local hospital. WOW. In R.I., they send in Marcus. In Bama, we send in Bubba to BSTH (Bitch Slap The Ho – the latter being gender neutral).

    Your local hospital deserves knocking. Do we need to wonder why the medical community spends so much money on defensive medicine? It’s obviously because they have their heads up their respective a***** and they’re either not training or managing people properly. Who says there’s no good reason to throw a golf club? I would have those slugs ducking 9 irons like Tiger on Thanksgiving.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  6. Johnny,
    I know you're in the midst of a tough battle right now, where you've been before -- on the front lines. The good news is that it's a winnable war, and your presence illustrates the warrior spirit you possess, your ability to overcome the toughest challenge with intelligence, humor and wit.

    from those Seagate days so long ago,
    to strolling fairways, clubs in tow,
    surfing blue waves on the outskirts of town
    you filled up on the river, and also tubed down,

    a father, a friend, a mentor, a sage,
    you're all that and more as this war has been waged,
    prevail as you will, as you can, as you do,
    to host yet another fake-eyebrow barbecue.

    - john.e.boy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dana ~ I think about John daily; but I also feel for you. I know how hard it is. My mom is a 30 year breast cancer survivor and is now going through cancer in the throat. So far they have taken two major biopsies (sp) to see and she still have some there so they are going back again. She is really a fighter also, just like John. My mom was in a concentration camp in Croatia, raped repeatedly, had cancer, 5-bypass about 8 years ago, two knee surgeries, and now cancer again.. and she is 84. She reminds me so much of John .... always fighting. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Ana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dana sounds like you are stepping into warrior mode! You're an informed advocate - so keep demanding what you know is right. While you may be tired and cranky - you're motivation and intentions are pure.
    John - continue to think of you daily. In addition to the jade yet to be collected - there's clubs to swing and some warm water waves in Nica to be ridden.
    Much love to both of you ~
    JennJenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. "WE" do worry if we don't hear. So thank you Dana for keeping all of us updated.

    Should we all come down to the hospital screaming for justice and to guard John's door to ensure proper sterilization and sanitation?!! Believe me if you thought it would help we could raise an army of door guards...

    We send our love and pray for healing comfort.

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, Pat, Frankie, and Mac, let's give the hospital the benefit of the doubt. They have tightened up their ship and are bending over backwards now to make us happy. Thanks for having our backs though. Good thing you all are far away.

    Bill, John and I have talked about the option of Stanford but feel that being close by home and family is most important right now.

    Terri M, Thank you for your daily good thoughts and wished here and on facebook, and for voting faithfully for me and Mike in the Mother/son look-alike contest!

    Ana, what a heartbreaking story! Just a reminder that there are warriors all around us. Sending you both hugs.

    And Johnny King and JennJenn, thank you for the encouraging words. I'm gonna set my sights on Nica and the fake eyebrow BBQ.
    Thanks all,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Easy to sit here and type..."Fight on John"...but I know if anyone can do it, it is you. Dana, hang in there and keep fighting for what you know is right. Big prayers and hugs to all of you. Love, Annie Fernandez

    ReplyDelete
  12. John,

    What a bummer! We sure miss your good humor at group and more importantly you must miss us!!!

    Keep on blogging. Glad you're out of the hospital.

    ReplyDelete