Thursday, March 31, 2005

Chilling out

It’s been a week since I updated the blog, so I thought I should, although there is not much to tell. This must be the long, boring part of the leukemia battle, no exciting steroid stories, no hospital craziness, just regular meals and mild physical insurrection. I can tell this is getting mundane because my family is starting to treat me like I am fine, which I am most of the time, as long as there are no stairs or hills involved.

Phase II of chemo is no problem so far. Two weeks of mercaptopurine means anti-nausea drugs, then 2 weeks of asparaginase means chills and fevers every fourth day, and the vincristine is numbing my fingers and now toes. We started the third week on Tuesday, so asparaginase and vincristine right now. The dropsy effect from the numbing is getting worse, meaning I can’t do the dishes, dang, and typoing is a pain, and I meant to say typoing. After 4 weeks, repeat and rinse! Every one of these drugs causes hair loss, nausea, fevers, headaches, etc., and I continue to have only mild problems, a little nauseous feeling but controlled by drugs, low fevers and chills controlled by Tylenol, and hair loss but who can tell? Speaking of which, I have been looking for some used wigs or toupees, anyone have anything that would look really bad?

Me with Mike’s hair
Dadmike


Me with Jack’s hair (Mike’s friend)
ride


Me with niece Jenny’s hair, from a few years back. Jenny Rose is standing behind me, with her hair flipped over my head. Rock On!
ride


I have been talking to the doc about the rest of treatment, and it looks like I won’t have to go back to Stanford for anything anticipated. The five spinal taps/methotrexate injections can be done here by a neurologist pal of the docs, they trade spinal taps for chemo shots I guess. He thinks we can get rid of the PICC line pretty soon, which will be awesome; it means I can get on some physical activity and maybe even surf if the blood counts are high enough.

One night a few years back I was sitting in my kitchen reading a book when I heard this scratching noise, not very loud. I listened carefully and eventually traced it to a light fixture over the dining room table. It was very faint and not consistent, just an occasional scritch scritch. I decided to explore further in the morning. In the morning I removed the plate that covers the light fixture wires and box, and inside was this – a Potato Bug. The crazy thing was, how could this bug have ever gotten in there? They are pretty big, at least as big as a quarter, and the biggest hole into the light fixture was less than dime-sized. Sucker must have been in there since birth? This insect scares the wits out of people, but it does nothing.


The Potato Bug (Stenopelmatus intermedius), is not the same as the Colorado potato beetle, Leptinotarsa undecimpunctata. The native Americans called it Woh-tzi-Neh or old bald-headed man, and maybe that is why I have an affinity for this creature. See
http://www.potatobugs.com/.

Hence, today’s Eyebrow Lowbrow
ride

5 comments:

  1. Oh, ick on the potato bugs. I know they are harmless, but seeing them on your face makes my flesh crawl.
    Glad you are tolerating the treatments. Hope you can get rid of the PICC line soon and hit the surf. 78 degrees today in SB and the ocean is calling.
    Xo to all, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ozzy (that's who you look like with the Jenny hair):
    John - John - John,
    You really freaked me out with the pic of you with Jack's hair. Were you at Bubba's Trailer Suds in Jasper, Alabama last Saturday night at about 1 A.M.? If so, please send my gator wallet and possum hat back to me. You can keep the Dale Junior boxer shorts. Also, please call. We need to talk about some oozing from places that have not oozed since I was in Korea. And, by the way, thanks - it was good for me.
    Thanks for the briefing on Potato Bugs. Ya know, you really do need to find a different way to keep youself busy.
    Hey, if you ever do find a cache of bad wigs, let me know. I have been looking for a very bad one for years; something to show up with at the sporadic black tie event, etc. That will give me the added edge of not being called a Woh-tzi-Neh by the local Indians (we don't use the term Native American down here because the rednecks think they are the true native Americans).
    Have a great weekend and keep up the blogging.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, John, glad to keep up on your progress and keep reading your great diary. with love, KJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and please say hi to Dana - it has been so long since I've seen you guys. We live near Portland, Oregon and love it up here. Again, with love, KJ
    your classmate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess my comment didn't post from Friday. Mac, go to http://www.wholesalehairpieces.com/ and go to the discounted section, good stuff (or not) cheap. I get first dibs on the next mullet, though.

    KJ, send me your email.

    ReplyDelete