Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Exploding patients

First the big news from the docs, which is essentially don’t ever forget you are human, you are stuck in this system, you aren’t going home Tuesday and we really can’t tell you when, your WBC is same as yesterday but everything is going great, we can only tell you the very day or maybe day before. The key count is not WBC anyway, it is this variant called neutrophil count, and that did go up but has more to go. If WBC is less than 1.0, it lowers neutrophil count because it is a multiplier in the formula; if it is 1.0 or higher it raises neutrophil count. Got it? My WBC is 0.8, so during yoga and walking today I told the bone marrow to make WBCs. It is written on the white board, Make More WBCs, Make More Platelets, Lose Hair. Things to do to go home.

OK. Lesson being don’t be a fool and set yourself up to be let down, which I kind of have. I also resolve to have some more talks with my bone marrow, let it know how important it is that it GET TO WORK. The trick is to remind myself I am way ahead of schedule, things are going great and this too will pass. As it shall. And lose the hair here, because what a mess it is making! Won’t stick to me, but damn if I can get it off my shirt. And is it those annoying tufty hairs on the top of my head, no, it’s the thick stuff on the side covering the giant moles. I don’t think it’s going to be selective for long though.

Hair Loss
It occurred to me today that I can start offering a new service for chemo patients that will undergo hair loss. It will be called Your Hair Was Warning You But Now It Won‘t. I have essentially been preparing for this for years, and know that the single largest problem with hair loss is you lose the head’s early warning system. No AWACS = many head smacks. What I mean is, and you don’t know this if you have a lot of hair, hair gives you this sensory signal to duck, and it saves your bean a lot of damage.

I know this because I didn’t get the message many times. Every time I did the laundry in the 5’ basement in that little house in New Jersey I clocked myself. My son Mike once saw me do the most awesome tae kwon do kick to a shelf I was just finishing installing in his room. Not sure how I forgot the shelf was there, since I was in the act of putting it up, but I gashed the heck out of my forehead, all my Irish and Italian came charging up and I took the shelf back out with a high kick.

Most embarrassing of all was the time I was on the throne, doing the crossword, taking my time. I was finishing up and I bent over to pick up the newspaper, and as I stood I was too close to the wall and gashed my head open on the freaking light switch, I mean blood pouring out gashed open. Again. Happens like once a week, one way or another, if I don’t wear a hat. Bald people don’t wear hats for the look, they wear them for the protection, from the sun and from their own faulty Advanced Warning And Control System.

New Invention idea - make a hat that has small metal sensors sticking out a couple inches, say 50-100 sensors, to enhance the hat’s early warning capabilities.

Balding kids
I took a long stroll today with the father of a 25 year old Acute Myeloid Leukemia patient down the hall. I don’t want to say much about another patient, but I wonder how I would’ve taken news like this at different points in my life. He is getting over being stunned and has a good prognosis, but hasn’t engaged in the battle. It is kind of like knowing you are going to be in a bad fight sometime soon, but you aren’t sure how to prepare, so you lay about and ponder. So I took his Dad around, real nice guy not much older than me, and showed him all the places you can go, places for putting (golf) practice not as confining as your room (forgot to ask Dana for my putter), and all important for that age, good places for girl watching, not that I use them but in case anyone asked.

We went all over the place, and in Children’s Hospital ran into a number of kids balding or bald from chemo, and looking really ill. This always gets to me in retrospect, and it was bothering Frank too as he mentioned how tough that would be, to have a kid that sick. Almost every time I go through Children’s, and that’s at least twice a day, I hear someone praising God, and I see some heart wrenching scene of sadness. I know from the moment young John the Larger was born the fear began, the fear that some day I would have to bury a child, and you have to live with that fear until you die and the kid hasn’t.

It all seems so random. So do I fear dying? My understanding is that the beyond is going to be so fantastic as to allow me to perceive the universe and God at all moments, truly at one with the Universe, and how could it be any other way? God is everywhere, omniscient, resides within us. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. So this means my energy lives on and God is in it and it is in God. Cool. Profound. The universe is so vast as to be truly incomprehensible. It can only be this way, so there is nothing to fear. Or, there is nothing beyond, when we die our perception is done, in which case there is nothing to fear. What I don’t like about dying is not finishing what I started, meaning my family, and that‘s not really fear it‘s regret. That would be a regret I would have as I visited the other sentient beings in parts of the universe human beings will never get to.

I just asked the nurse her opinion on the bald/head smacking relationship, and after hearing my logic she says I am just a klutz. It’s possible.

The White Hat Rides Again
I have a new nurse today, Sandy; I have had maybe fifteen different nurses. Let’s see who I can list:
Bettina - Croatia, Danarubicin chemo
Kathy from London
Al from the Philippines
Lauren from Ohio
Michelle - Premed RN, Kittery Maine
Kelly the traveler from Nova Scotia
Kelly the traveler from ?
Susie from Cork, Ireland
Esther from ?
Chonn from Philippines -PICC line
Rebekah the traveler from Wichita Kansas
Aracely from El Salvador - The White Hat Rides
Kamikila from Hawaii
Aidella from the Philippines
Marissa from the Philippines
Lily from Denmark
Mendy from the Philippines
Sandy from Arizona
Rosalee from the Philippines
Richmond from the Philippines
Jose from the Philippines

There has to be at least ten I am not listing. Some of them have taken care of me a lot, like Lauren, Lily, Michelle, Esther and Marissa, and some just one night. They work twelve hour shifts, have real tough jobs here in oncology and must suffer some serious burnout. Some times when I go get ice or coffee it smells like someone exploded, and that is through the HEPA mask. I peek into the other rooms outside the isolation ward (double rooms) and there are very sick people in them, almost all sleeping. Signs on the doors say ’Fall Precaution’, or the toxic symbol meaning they are on heavy chemo.

So Sandy comes in this morning, checks me out, gets my story then regrets asking, and says those dreaded words. Today we ride. Another white hat day. And, save me some pee too. I instantly protest, as it happens to be double meal day experiment.

Double Meal Day Experiment
First of all let me say I have never really been a food focused person, I eat to live. I have often said if I could have my sustenance in a pill that would be OK, Dana will back me up on this. Aging has changed that and I appreciate food more, but it is not my focus. Now, remember the photo of my menu from yesterday’s log? The menu where I wanted to see how much I could get away with ordering from the menu? Tomorrow I am calling down to the cafeteria to congratulate them on actually causing a patient to physically explode, I mean to actually burst in the chair. Because the combination of double meal experiment day and the Fear the White Hat Syndrome was nearly lethal.

Breakfast came. Scrambled eggs, bacon, 2 English muffins, jelly, oatmeal, cream of wheat, apple juice, cheese, a banana, ketchup, peanut butter, salsa and whole milk (for nurse station coffee). Thankfully they didn’t deliver the hard candy I asked for. I made 2 sandwiches with the muffins, eggs, bacon and cheese. I saved the banana, oatmeal and cream of wheat for 9sies. Now in comes Sandy and gives me the white hat news, and I know I better start walking it out and off. So Frank and I go but we don’t get back until 11:00, and now lunch will be here in a half hour, too late for 9sies. The white hat waits.

Check the menu pic - for lunch I get the soup, Italian pasta with meat sauce, make-your-tuna sandwich kit, green beans, 2 bags of potato chips, a dinner roll, margarine, cheese packet, strawberry ice cream, canned pears, iced tea and chocolate milk. They left out the fruit cocktail, mixed vegetables and chocolate chip cookie. Girl said it was the heaviest tray she had ever carried. It turns out they had to leave stuff off the tray because the tray weight exceeded the union’s 40 pound weight limit! I save the tuna kit and cheese for 2sies, and hoard the chips to avoid vending nightmares. I do yoga after lunch, and that isn’t easy because there is not much stretch in the frame, it’s pretty damn stretched already.

I actually cause a minor leak in my PICC line pumping the 8 lb. weights. I wasn’t pumping hard, but felt this slight twinge and sure enough had squeezed a little blood into the dressing. Sandy checks it out and says What the heck are you doing, no more weights with the left arm. Great. First I have tennis elbow for ten months in the left arm, and now a PICC line for two years. Imagine what my arms are going to look like by 2007? That’s Arnie on the right, Ernie on the left. Sandy willl change the dressing at 4:00, she has patients scheduled to explode and crawl the floor and run 104 fevers, do I mind? Heck no, I am going for a walk, the white hat waits.

Off I go, usual route plus I throw in an exterior circuit, nice day, 1 ½ hour walk, topped off by a Starbucks mocha. I am throwing everything I have at the white hat, because I sense the dilemma I am in with the convergence of double meal day experiment and white hat day. I end up back in the room, drinking the mocha and jumping up and down trying to aid gravity and nature. I say what the hell, and make a tuna and cheese sandwich, we are going to force the system or die trying. In the end, of course, Sandy gets what she wants - I left the message at the desk this time, Please tell Sandy there is a Mr. Brown in a white hat waiting for her in 44.

For dinner they actually sent everything I ordered, only 1 meal but they thought I must’ve forgot something so they threw in rice with my bread and baked potato, pot roast, broccoli, soup, gelatin, 2 more bags of chips, peaches, ice cream, brownie, herb tea, milk and chocolate milk. I am saving the soup, potato and roll for later, but I don’t know, the nurses often eat a baked potato for dinner, I may seek a volunteer. What a day.

15 comments:

  1. Jeez Louise, John -- Sandy must have gotten what she wanted and then some! I have to go lie down now.

    I'm not sure how big a hit your sensor hat idea would be -- I get a vision of that pinhead guy. Too scary.

    I'm sorry we won't have you home tomorrow after all, but that did seem TOO good to be true. I mean, you were just fighting a cold a couple days ago, weren't you? I'm still holding out for later this week though.

    Love ya,
    Tia-Lia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was kind to Sandy and only left her the tip of the iceberg. I just came from my morning weigh-in, 77.4 kg or 170 lbs. Metamucil and modern plumbing, we don't realize how good we have it.

    Hooah

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was that sweet soft-spoken nurse from Korea via Texas too, and the one from Africa. Yep, quite an international bunch up there.

    Well Mikey will be interested to know that you are losing your hair. I'm not sure why that fascinates him so much. We had a preview of that back in the fall on one of your whims, remember?

    Wonder why top hats ever went out of fashion? They'd give you a pretty comfortable safe-zone cushion. Or there was that hat John-o used to wear when he was little with the propeller on top. That'd do it. It was cute too.

    Keep that positive imagery going and try not to be too disappointed about not coming home today. We want to make sure they've finished the job up there before they cut you loose.

    Love you, babe,
    Spud

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to have to rename your site - Holy Cow I have BMs! I feel like I've heard more about your bathroom habits then the chemo!!

    Whether you are waxing philosophical or waning humor, I love your spirit, kiddo.

    Sorry you won't be back as soon as you thought, but it sounds like it'll be very soon anyway. We're all out here sending healing vibes to the gods in your bone marrow.

    Cheers, Cecelia

    ReplyDelete
  5. WARNING - WARNING - WARNING
    DO NOT GO HOME YET. REPEAT
    DO NOT GO HOME YET.
    I just checked my insurance policy and, I suspect, like yours, it does not cover interior wall reconstruction or new floor coverings from explosive colon ejection due to chemo gastronomic overindulgence. HOLY SHIT (pun intended), what the hell are your trying to do to yourself up there. Let it go while you're there. After all, they have people who specialize in cleaning that stuff up. If you take all that "crap" home with you, you're gonna burn up the Sears Wetvac. And the warranty doesn't cover that either. Hey, here's an idea.: Remember when you were originally considering having Hollywood cover the John Holy Cow Show about your treatment up there. Let's get Saturday Night Live involved for when you finally go to the bathroom. Man oh man, can I think of some really sick shit to do with that scene. NEWS FLASH: Slo Man brownwashes 300 in local WalMart. Or, Ventura Freeway shut down as traffic is stooled (ha) to a stop. Or, Slo man not so slo as he ejects self from Stanford Medical Center.
    Where oh where have all the white hats gone.
    Geez John, I feel so damned stupid now. Here you've been talkin about all the WBC stuff and, you know, living in Alabama, I'm thinking you're talkin about a country music radio station. I'm lookin for 0.8 on the AM dial and I can't find shit.
    And, what the hell in neutrophil. I'm watchin Access Hollywood every night thinkin they're gonna show how they finally neutered Dr. Phil. What is that about?
    Gotta go. Keep the faith buddy. Shit while you have paid staff to deal with it.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, I agree with the Nurse. I think you're a klutz. However, I think the sensor hat idea has merit. I was remembering "My Favorite Martian". I think a couple of antenae would do the trick and heck, you might even be able to get cable!
    The white hat is very fetching on you! Do they recycle those?
    xo, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. John,
    Lisa's brilliant. I love it when people feed me ideas I can run with. I think she's really onto something there with the idea of pirating cable with the antenna hat. And the idea is probably in it's infancy early enough that there's not even any laws against it yet (Republicans still in the White House). Oh, how bout this? Triple-ended coaxial in the hat; one for the cable reception, one to the brain and the other end up your but. Man, talk about downloading some dirty data. Furthermore, it will likely divert the pending hair problem. I mean, look what the hell happens to vegetables in a vegetable garden when they get fertalized with a small dose of manure. You could end up with hair of biblical proportions here. We could be talkin a visit from the Pope.
    Sorry, I feel myself slipping over to the dark side now John. Better go before I say things that may bring out the blog cops.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness...the blog has slipped into the toilet in spite of Lisa's efforts to bring our thoughts to higher realms (the My Favorite Martian reference.) Is it me or does it seem that men are more easily caught up in the toilet discussion? I shouldn't be surprised I guess. After all, we do live in a culture that actually has a label for "Bathroom Humor." What was that about the Eskimos and the number of words they have for 'snow' being an indication of how important snow is in their culture? Hum... I count at least half a dozen variations on our theme here in just the last few paragraphs. The only other equally obsessed culture I'm aware of are the Spaniards, who include references to this lowly bodily function in most of their swear words. Needless to say, both ours and theirs, are male dominated cultures. Maybe you guys need to get out there and change a few more diapers and then see how funny you think it is.

    Fondly,
    Spud

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, laptops, DSL connection, and a bunch of sick depressed people.
    I know what the hospital needs...a LAN party :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uh oh, now you've done it Lisa. You got us in trouble with the head honcho. Oops, did I say head. Well, I didn't mean that as in bathroom. Oh shit . . .
    Damn, I'm sorry.
    I hate when this crap happens.
    Sombody stop me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's not my fault. I am probably more versed in toilet humor than the rest of you. I could run on butt, I better stop while I'm ahead....
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi john canary---i'm enjoying your experiments. i think we should test out the hat with metal sensors on my pepere--i've seen him with a few bandaids on that bicked head of his. maybe you can start a new piercing trend with the moles on your head--i mean if you can peirce a nipple you can probably pierce a mole. anyways--i'm a fan--keep writing. michaela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yowza, Chrissie, get Mac off those meds or out of the sun, he is more fascinated with coprolites than I, and I have a book about animal feces. (2 more Dana). Mac, you always were easy to turn on, but tough to turn off. Sure you aren't a frustrated progressive?

    Problem I see with only 2 antenna is I will still get scarred up, only half as much.

    Fozzy, we need you here man, this system is tighter than a Fear Factor butt in round 3. No CDR anywhere, not 1, not for a single employee, they must be working for NSA. No wireless, tho they are considering it. LAN party if we want to compare smallpox studies only. Can't wait for my crappy cable modem!

    And Ow, I ain't piercing anything I don't have to, you haven't seen these moles, more like areolae! And your Dad has a ton of hair, he is a klutz, no excuses for him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eh hem! Why are you still up at 11:56 pm?
    Spud

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eh hem! Why are you still up at 11:56 pm?
    Spud

    ReplyDelete