Wednesday, March 23, 2005

New chemo - lardassathol

Monday - It’s been a pretty boring last few days, thankfully. I just came from the dermatologist; you’d think all the chemo would kill any kind of cancer anywhere, but they removed some suspicious looking things from my back and face. No jokes. I went for a hike along the beach north of Cayucos earlier today, and had enough energy to go about 3 miles round trip, I’d guess, with some small uphills thrown in. I am not a big bundle of energy lately, though. I basically sat and watched basketball and napped all weekend, with a movie or some TV golf thrown in here and there for variety.

This will be the big challenge; not falling into a pattern of lethargy that lasts after the leukemia is beaten down. I am sure a lot of this energy level is caused by the chemo, but some of it is laziness, using the excuse of the chemo to just sit on my ass. I better have a talk with myself, straighten me out.

I started back in on editing the old videotapes into DVDs. I have made it past all the old VHS and 8mm, and now I am starting the newer stuff on digital tape. Time consuming stuff, but there are some real nuggets in there. I am making one copy of everything that is on the tape, and then I will make some more interesting and more edited versions. One idea is to make some actual skits where 15 year old John is talking to 8 year old John and 12 year old Mike. That could take some time.

Mac was kind enough to send me this picture of the deer stand they’re going to use down Alabamy way; this sucker comes complete with smoker, Ho-Spice stove, bar, shower and toilet, and has 8-track of all your C&W stars.

Alats

Just for comparison, here is the tree stand we use here in CA, totally handicapped accessible. This sucker can go from 0-60 in 7.8 seconds, tops out at 75 mph, gets 18 mpg and can track a deer for miles. This baby comes with a 100-CD changer, DVD, refrigerator, bar, heated seats and bulletproof windows.
CAts

I took some pics of the cards, letters and photos famous celebrities have been sending me. Dana sent out piles of cards to various people, to see who would respond, and these are some of the responses. The Michael Jordan stuff came yesterday, and he threw in a nice t-shirt. Vanna and I are going out to breakfast this weekend, when she will be in the neighborhood. Man, she really hardens my consonants and turns my vowels!

LBF
LBI
MJ
Vanna
Arnold
Robin

Wednesday - I went over my chemo routine with the Oncology nurse at the Doctor’s yesterday, with an eye for which chemo treatments are requiring a PICC line. It turns out, at least in her opinion, that all other treatments can go regular IV. I need to ask the doctor on next Tuesday if we can remove the PICC line. I think the tradeoff of some IV pain for the mobility of my left arm will be well worth it. I would be able to golf, maybe even surf the small stuff if the blood counts were all high. The fact is I feel better now than in January, except for the lethargy from chemo, and that can be ignored with some extra caffeine. I certainly would have less excuse to turn into the giant lardass I am becoming.

Let’s see, what did we think would happen when you quit smoking and lose that nicotine metabolism boost, eat twice as much as normal while locked in an isolation ward, restrict motion with a PICC line, dump lethargarinase and lardassathol into the system, and then have your friends bring you meals for twelve people, including three desserts, a couple of times a week? No pictures, but this is getting ugly.

Mac, don't shoot me, those deer on my forehead are just pictures!
Deer


5 comments:

  1. John Da Man, or should I say, Dear Mr. Lardassathol:
    So good to see you're back on the blog.
    Is that a six or eight pointer on your brow? You should sell those. A little HOOFING around and they could bring in big BUCKS. We're talkin about makin serious DOE here - enough, that if you were a single guy, you could even get Vanna to be your own little WHITE TAIL.
    Glad to see you were able to post my back yard deer stand. We converted the shower to a closet for hangin the deer meat. And the toilet is used as a wash basin; the whirlpool action is great for the complexion, as well as washing off all the deer gut stuff. Cain't help from doin jista little redneckin fer ya here.
    The California deer stand is very high tech. Hell, our pickups down here don't even come with all those options.
    Hey, I like all the cool stuff you got there. However, I'm very disappointed those goodies did not include anything from The Rick & Bubba Show here in B'ham.
    Anyway, get the hell off your lardass and get out there and do some shit.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. John
    tuning in a few days late--I have a hideout like Mac's Bamma Bambi Banging shack in my back yard and it does not have a computer so I missed your deer update while I was out there.
    if you guys want to hunt, why don't you just come to our neighborhood and do drive-by, they run at your car, walk down the roads and sometimes go into people's houses looking for ho-spice for their beach parties.
    want to wish you & yours a happy easter--
    do they close the taxidermy offices down south today for wabbit season?
    looking forward to your holiday lowbrows, might I suggest you don't go religious with this one?
    ps. did Martin Mull send you any cards?
    love,
    pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo John: It's good to see you bloggin along again. Seems like the energy level is gradually rising again or at least after you have that talk with yourself. Whatsis Ho Spice talk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man,
    Pat's feeding me ideas here.
    John, bein a California guy, you may have heard of the old stories about Pete Douglas and his Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society in Half Moon Bay (www.bacjsddsoc). If not, it's a cool thing to look into. Short version (as I recall it): Pete was a jazz musician and ended up doing some hard time years ago. When he got outa The Big House, he used to have these crazy music parties on the beach, at least one of which included using dynamite for a version of the 1812 Overture. Thus, the Bach Dancing & Dynamite Society. It revolved around Pete's beach house, which is now a famous stop-over for renowned musicians.
    I'm gonna see if I can get something similar started down here, revolving around Holy Cow I Have Leukemia seminars at Mac's Bambi Banging Shack (thanks Pat - I love it), featuring Mac's Ho-Spice Bush Banquets. Shit, if only we coulda started this before Birmingham's Frank Stitt got his best-seller cookbook published (The Southern Table). I'll put my cooking prowess to work and come up with a first class meal that even Frank will be proud to add to the menu at his Highland's Bar and Grill. I can see it now -first item on the menu: John's Holy Cow Brow, with a side of Bambi Bangin Bones, all mildly simmered then smothered with Mac's Ho-Spice --- served in a White Hat. Maybe I can get Frank to dedicate a section of his next book to this.
    Pat, taxidermy never ever closes here. They've been busy gettin all the Baptist churches supplied with stuffed wabbits for the Easter services.
    Have a good day John and keep up with the blogs. We love to be able to stay in touch with you through this. Almost as good as being there.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my neck of the woods we hunt gophers. They are about as prolific as the deer in Pat’s neighborhood. I can stand at my kitchen window and watch them wave at me while they demolish my vegetable garden. Check out www.roadtripamerica.com/places/gopher.htm to see what the taxidermists can accomplish with trophy gophers.

    There are benefits to gophers. You can play “golph” in my backyard. The goal is to try to hit a ball across the yard without it going into a gopher hole. Prizes are awarded if you can actually bean a gopher. Deb and I will then skin the varmint and make some sleek eyebrows. If it’s an especially big one, we can make a matching toupee. Think I’m kidding? Check out Sam Donaldson’s hairpiece.

    ReplyDelete